every one a winner
every one a dinner
Makes 25 – 30
Preparation time – 5 minutes
Cooking time – 20 minutes + 30 minutes chilling time
Crunchy and buttery cookies make a delicious after-school treat with a glass of milk.
Try flavouring the cookies with ground cinnamon, grated lemon or orange rinds, or vanilla extract to the butter mixture.
Or add whole glacé cherries, chocolate chips, chopped nuts or dried fruit to the dough when you add the flour.
Nutritional count per serving
Energy 84kcal/350kj; Protein 0.8g; Carbohydrate 9.6g of which sugars 3.3g; Fat 4.9g of which saturates 3.1g; Cholesterol 12mg; Calcium 14mg/ Fibre 0.3g; Sodium 36mg.
175 g/ 6 oz unsalted butter, at room temperature, diced 90 g/ 3 ½ oz golden caster sugar 250 g/ 9 oz plain flour Demerara sugar, for coating
- Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Add the flour and, using your hands, gradually work it in until the mixture forms a smooth dough.
- Roll the dough in a sausage shape about 3 cm/12 in long, then pat to form either a square or triangular log.
- Sprinkle a thick layer of demerara sugar on a piece of baking parchment paper. Press each side of the dough into the sugar to coat. Wrap and chill for about 30 minutes until firm.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 160’C/140’C Fan/325’F/Gas 3.
- When ready to bake, remove the dough from the refrigerator and unwrap it.
- Cut into thick slices and place slightly apart on non-stick baking sheets.
- Bake for 20 minutes until just beginning to turn brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Coming soon- Where to buy Wot Eat ingredients NEAR YOU.
CLICK HERE to see how it will work (currently, all stores used are for illustration purposes only).