every one a winner
every one a dinner
Calves Liver with Balsamic Sauce
Preparation time – 5 minutes
Cooking time – 20 minutes
Served with creamy mashed potatoes, this simple dish with its richly flavoured sauce is transformed into a memorable meal.
Nutritional value per serving:
Protein 25 g; Fat 15 g of which saturates 5 g; Carbohydrate 8 g of which sugars 6 g; Energy 271 kcal.
1 large Spanish onion, halved and thinly sliced 2 tbsps olive oil 1 tbsp fresh chopped sage leaves 4 slices calves liver, about 125 g/4 ½ oz each Freshly ground black pepper For the sauce: 3 tbsps balsamic vinegar 1 tbsp Dijon mustard 100 ml / 3 ½ fl oz single cream
- Preheat the oven to low.
- Heat half of the olive oil in a large frying pan over a high heat and fry the onion, stirring, for 1 minute. Lower the heat, cover and cook for 6 minutes, or until the onion is just tender and is beginning to brown.
- Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Season the liver with black pepper. Add the remaining oil to the frying pan and, when it is very hot, fry the liver for a minute or two on each side, until it changes colour. Remove and keep warm.
- To make the sauce, bring the vinegar and 3 tbsps water to the boil in the frying pan, stirring and scraping up the browned residue. Reduce the heat and stir in the mustard and cream.
- Return the liver and onions to the pan; reheat them very gently in the sauce for 1 – 2 minutes. Sprinkle with sage and serve.
Coming soon- Where to buy Wot Eat ingredients NEAR YOU.
CLICK HERE to see how it will work (currently, all stores used are for illustration purposes only).