every one a winner
every one a dinner
Celery and Blue Cheese Soup
To serve – 6
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 50 mins
A perfect pairing of celery and blue cheese in which the clean fresh taste of the celery sets off the creamy rich texture of the blue cheese. Can also use Danish or Shropshire blue cheeses.
Nutritional count per serving
Energy 199kcal/826kj; Protein 5.9g; Carbohydrate 7.5g of which sugars 2.4g; Fat 16.2g of which saturates 10.4g; Cholesterol 44mg; Calcium 117mg; Fibre 1.4g; Sodium 233mg.
40 g/1 ½ oz/ 3 tbsp butter 1 large onion, finely chopped 1 medium potato, cut into small cubes 1 whole head of celery, thinly sliced 900 ml/1 ½ pints vegetable or chicken stock 100 g/ 3 ¾ oz Stilton cheese, crumbled 150 ml/1 ¼ pint single cream Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a large pan and add the chopped onion. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft but not browned.
- Stir in the potato and celery and cook for a further 5 minutes until the vegetables soften and start to brown.
- Add the stock to the vegetables, bring to the boil, then cover the pan and simmer gently for about 30 minutes, until all the vegetables are very soft.
- Process or blend about three-quarters of the mixture until smooth, then return it to the pan with the rest of the soup.
- Bring the soup just to the boil and season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese, reserving a little for the garnish. Stir in the cream and reheat the soup gently without boiling.
- Serve topped with the reserved crumbled cheese.
Coming soon- Where to buy Wot Eat ingredients NEAR YOU.
CLICK HERE to see how it will work (currently, all stores used are for illustration purposes only).