every one a winner
every one a dinner
Crispy-topped Seafood Pie
To serve – 4
Cooking time – 45 mins
An impressive slant on an old favourite.
500 g/ 1 lb cod fillet 300 ml/ ½ pt milk 1 bay leaf 2 leeks, trimmed and sliced 175 g/ 6 oz broccoli, cut into florets 175 g/ 6 oz cooked peeled prawns 15 g/ ½ oz butter 15 g/ ½ oz plain flour Salt and freshly ground black pepper 250 g/ 8 oz ready-made shortcrust pastry, well chilled 30 g/ 1 oz Gruyére cheese, grated
- Put the cod into a saucepan with the milk and bay leaf, bring slowly to the boil, and poach* gently for about 10 minutes until the fish is opaque and flakes easily.
- Meanwhile blanch the leeks and broccoli for 3 minutes in a saucepan of boiling salted water. Drain.
- Lift out the fish, remove and discard the skin and bones, and flake the fish. Strain and reserve the milk.
- Put the leeks and broccoli into a pie dish, and add the cod and prawns
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, add the flour, and cook stirring for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and gradually blend in the reserved milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Season to taste and pour over the pie filling.
- Grate the pastry with a coarse grater and sprinkle over the sauce. Sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200’C/180’C Fan/400’f/Gas 6 for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve at once.
Coming soon- Where to buy Wot Eat ingredients NEAR YOU.
CLICK HERE to see how it will work (currently, all stores used are for illustration purposes only).