every one a winner
every one a dinner
Fried Tomatoes with Polenta Crust
Preparation time – 5 minutes
Cooking time – 10 – 15 minutes
Serves 2 -4
Can be eaten on their own, but equally delicious as a side dish.
Also, a tasty way to cook mushrooms. Coat whole button mushrooms with flour, seasoned egg and the polenta mixture and deep-fry until crisp.
Substitute goat’s cheese slices or bite size mozzarella balls and cook as in the recipe.
4 large firm under-ripe tomatoes 115g/ 4 oz polenta or coarse cornmeal 5ml/ 1 tsp dried oregano or marjoram 2.5ml/ ½ tsp garlic powder 1 egg Plain flour for dredging Vegetable oil, for deep frying Salt and ground black pepper Salad to serve
- Cut the tomatoes into thick slices. Mix the polenta or cornmeal with the oregano or marjoram and garlic powder in a shallow bowl.
- Lightly beat the egg in another shallow bowl and season with salt and pepper. Put the flour in a third shallow bowl. Dip the tomatoes slices first into the flour, then into the egg and finally into the polenta or cornmeal mixture.
- Fill a shallow frying pan one-third full of vegetable oil and heat steadily until quite hot.
- Slip the tomato slices into the oil carefully, a few at a time, and fry on each side until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well on kitchen paper.
- Repeat with the remaining tomatoes, reheating the oil in between each batch.
- Serve immediately with salad.
Coming soon- Where to buy Wot Eat ingredients NEAR YOU.
CLICK HERE to see how it will work (currently, all stores used are for illustration purposes only).