every one a winner
every one a dinner
Frittata with Leeks and Red Pepper
To serve – 3-4
Preparation time – 5 minutes
Cooking time – 14 minutes
A crustless quiche – wonderful served hot or easy to pack for a picnic or a working lunch the next day.
Nutritional count per serving
Energy 323lcal/1342kj; Protein 17.6g; Carbohydrate 7.16 of which sugars 6.2g; Fat 25.3g of which saturates 6g; Cholesterol 250mg; Calcium 281mg; Fibre 4.2g; Sodium 280mg
30 ml/2 tbsp olive oil 1 large red pepper, seeded and diced 2.5-5 ml/ ½ - 1 tsp ground roasted cumin 3 leeks, about 450 g/1 lb thinly sliced 150 g/5 oz small spinach leaves 45 ml/3 tbsp pine nuts toasted 5 large eggs 15 ml/1 tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves 15 ml/1 tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley Salt and freshly ground black pepper Watercress to garnish 50 g/2 oz Parmesan cheese, grated, to serve.
- Heat a frying pan and add the oil. Add the red pepper and cook over a medium heat stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes until soft and beginning to brown. Add 2.5 ml/ ½ tsp of the cumin and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the leeks, then part cover the pan and cook gently for about 5 minutes until the leeks have softened and collapsed. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the spinach. Cover the pan and leave the spinach to wilt in the steam for 2 minutes, then stir to mix it into the vegetables. Add the pine nuts and stir to mix well.
- Preheat the grill. Beat the eggs with salt and pepper, the remaining cumin, basil and parsley. Add to the pan and cook over a gently heat until the bottom of the omelette sets and turns golden brown. Pull the edges of omelette away from the sides of the pan as it cooks and tilt the pan so that the uncooked egg runs underneath.
- Flash the frittata under the hot grill to set the egg on top, but do not let it become too brown.
- Cut the frittata into wedges and serve warm, garnished with watercress and sprinkled with grated Parmesan cheese.
Coming soon- Where to buy Wot Eat ingredients NEAR YOU.
CLICK HERE to see how it will work (currently, all stores used are for illustration purposes only).