every one a winner
every one a dinner
Gammon and Leek Pie
Preparation time – 5 minutes
Cooking time – 25 minutes
A tasty casual supper for mid-week, served with a simple green vegetable such as fine beans.
Nutritional value per serving:
Protein 36 g; Fat 35 g of which saturates 16 g; Carbohydrate 11 g of which sugars 9 g; Energy 520 kcal.
900 g/ 2 lb potatoes, peeled and diced Salt and freshly ground black pepper 500 g/ 1 lb 2 oz leeks, rinsed and sliced 70 g/ 2 ½ oz butter 500 g/ 1 lb 2 oz lean gammon steaks, diced 85 g/ 3 oz mature Cheddar cheese, grated 1 tsp Dijon mustard 115 g/ 4 oz cherry tomatoes, halved 2 tbsps plain flour 1 tsp mixed dried herbs 300 ml/ 10 fl oz milk, plus 1 -2 tbsps A few sprigs of parsley to garnish
- Add diced potatoes to a saucepan of lightly salted boiling water; cover and cook for 8 – 10 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Drain and mash with black pepper, 25 g/1 oz butter and 1 – 2 tbsps milk. Set aside.
- Melt 25 g/1 oz butter in a frying pan, add leeks and fry over a moderate heat for 6 – 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened, but not browned.
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Melt remaining butter in a flameproof casserole about 25 cm/10 in wide and 5 cm/ 2 in deep, or in a frying pan with a flameproof handle. Fry the diced gammon over a moderate heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir the flour and herbs into the gammon and cook for 1 minute. Add the milk and stir until it comes to the boil. Add the cheese, stir until it melts then add the leeks and mustard, season to taste and reduce the heat to low.
- Place large spoonfuls of the mashed potato in a circle around the top of the gammon and leek mixture and lay the cherry tomatoes in the centre.
- Grill the pie for 2 – 3 minutes, or until the top is golden.
- Snip a few sprigs of parsley over the top and serve.
Coming soon- Where to buy Wot Eat ingredients NEAR YOU.
CLICK HERE to see how it will work (currently, all stores used are for illustration purposes only).