every one a winner
every one a dinner
Haddock in Cheese Sauce
To serve – 4
Preparation time –
Cooking time –
A great family supper meal served with vegetables of choice. Can be made with any white fish or smoked haddock if preferred.
Nutritional count per serving
Energy430kcal/1809kj; Protein 58.2g; Carbohydrate 9.6g of which sugars 4.5g; Fat 17.4g of which saturates 10.6g;Cholesterol 136mg; Calcium 351mg; Fibre 0.4g; Sodium 446g.
1kg/ 2 ¼ lb haddock fillets 300 ml/ ½ pint milk 1 small onion, thinly sliced 2 bay leaves A few black peppercorns 25 g/ 1 oz / 2 tbsp plain flour 5ml/ 1 tsp English mustard 115g/4 oz Cheddar cheese, grated Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Put the fish in a large frying pan in a single layer. Add the milk, bay leaves, onion, and peppercorns and heat slowly until small bubbles are rising to the surface.
- Cover and simmer very gently on low heat for 5-8 minutes, until the fish is opaque and only just cooked.
- Lift the fillets out with a slotted spoon, and reserve the cooking liquid.
- Flake the fish, removing skin and any bones.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk. Return the pan to the heat and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens. Stir in the mustard and three-quarters of the cheese.
- Gently add the fish into the sauce.
- Spoon into 1 large or 4 individual flameproof dishes. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Put under a hot grill until bubbling and just browning.
- Serve with a green vegetable or crusty bread.
Coming soon- Where to buy Wot Eat ingredients NEAR YOU.
CLICK HERE to see how it will work (currently, all stores used are for illustration purposes only).