every one a winner
every one a dinner
Herrings in Oatmeal with Mustard
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Cooking time – 10 minutes
In this delicious dish, crunchy-coated herrings are served with a piquant mustard sauce.
Nutritional Value per serving-
Calories 721 kcal/2997 kj; Protein 35.2 g; Carbohydrate 21.7 g of which sugars 0.6 g; Fat 55.4 g of which saturates 10.6 g; Salt 476 mg
15 ml/1 tbsp Dijon mustard 7.5 ml/1 ½ tsp tarragon vinegar 175 ml/ 6 fl oz thick mayonnaise 3 – 4 tbsps milk 4 herrings, gutted 1 lemon, halved 115g/4 oz medium oatmeal 60g/2 oz unsalted butter Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Beat the mustard and vinegar to taste into the mayonnaise. Chill lightly in the refrigerator.
- Place one fish at a time on a chopping board, cut side down and opened out. Press gently all along the backbone with your thumbs. Turn the fish over and carefully lift away the backbone and discard.
- Squeeze lemon juice over both sides of each fish then season with salt and pepper. Fold the fish in half, skin-side outwards.
- Put the milk in a shallow bowl and dip the fish into the bowl. Place the oatmeal on a shallow plate, then coat each herring evenly in the oatmeal, pressing it on gently with your fingers.
- Melt the butter in a heavy based frying pan until sizzling, add the herrings and cook in a medium heat for 4- 5 minutes on each side. Lift the herrings from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve hot with the mustard sauce served separately.
Coming soon- Where to buy Wot Eat ingredients NEAR YOU.
CLICK HERE to see how it will work (currently, all stores used are for illustration purposes only).