every one a winner
every one a dinner
Hot Corn Cakes with Salad
Cooking time – 30 minutes
Crisp, crunchy and spicy corn cakes work so well with a cool and delicious salad.
Nutritional Value per serving:
Energy 667 Kcal; Carbohydrate 40 g of which sugars 12 g; Protein 13 g; Fat 52 g of which saturated fat 13 g.
200 g/ 7 oz tinned or frozen sweetcorn 90 ml/ 3 fl oz milk Salt and freshly ground black pepper 3 drops of Tabasco sauce 1 medium iceberg lettuce 2 avocados, peeled and sliced 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced 4 tbsps olive oil 1 tbsp white wine vinegar 100 g/ 3 ½ oz self-raising flour 2 large eggs 2 -3 tbsps vegetable oil For the dressing: 2 spring onions, finely sliced 4 -5 sprigs of dill, chopped – reserve 1 sprig for garnish 150 ml / 5 fl oz soured cream Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Drain tinned sweetcorn and set aside. In a bowl, mix the milk, salt, pepper and Tabasco. Put the frozen sweetcorn into a pan with the seasoned milk, and shake over a low heat for 1 minute. Turn off the heat and leave to thaw.
- To make the dressing, add the spring onions and dill to the soured cream in a bowl and season to taste.
- Put lettuce leaves, avocados and sliced pepper into a salad bowl. Mix olive oil and vinegar together, season and toss gently into the salad.
- Put flour into a bowl, make a well in the centre and break in the eggs. Add the seasoned milk or strain the milk from the defrosted sweetcorn, beat until smooth then stir in the corn.
- Take two frying pans and heat 1 – 1 ½ tbsps of vegetable oil in each. Drop six tbsps of batter into each pan. Fry gently for 4 – 5 minutes until golden underneath and set at the edges. Turn and fry for another 1 – 2 minutes.
- Divide the salad among four plates. Drain the corn cakes and arrange three with each salad. Garnish with fronds of dill and serve the dressing separately.
Coming soon- Where to buy Wot Eat ingredients NEAR YOU.
CLICK HERE to see how it will work (currently, all stores used are for illustration purposes only).