every one a winner
every one a dinner
Kidney Bean and Vegetable Gratin
Preparation time – 5 minutes
Cooking time – 25 minutes
Packed full of rich warming flavour, wonderful served with a cooling Greek yoghurt and crusty bread.
Nutritional value per serving:
Protein 26 g; Fat 22 g of which saturates 8 g; Carbohydrate 85 g of which sugars 36 g; Energy 625 kcal.
3 tbsps virgin olive oil 1 medium onion, finely chopped 2 medium sticks celery, thinly sliced 2 cloves garlic, crushed 1 medium red pepper, deseeded and chopped 125 g/; 4 ½ oz seedless raisins Pinch of dried oregano Pinch of dried crushed red chillies 1 tsp ground cumin Salt and freshly ground black pepper 400 g/ 14 oz tinned chopped tomatoes 175 g/ 6 oz broccoli, cut into small florets Handful of fresh coriander, chopped 420 g / 14 ½ oz tinned kidney beans, drained and rinsed 275 g/ 9 ¾ oz cooked long grain rice 125 g/ 4 ½ oz frozen sweetcorn 70 g/ 2 ½ oz Parmesan cheese
- Put a kettle of water on to boil. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a very low heat.
- Add the onions, celery and garlic to the oil and fry gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the pepper, raisins, oregano, crushed chillies and cumin and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper, tinned tomatoes and 5 tbsps of water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Put the broccoli florets into a saucepan, cover with the boiling water, bring back to the boil and cook for minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat the grill to medium.
- Add the kidney beans, cooked rice and sweetcorn to the vegetable mixture. Return to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the broccoli and heat through for a further minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the coriander and grate the Parmesan over the top.
- Grill for 5 – 6 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Serve immediately.
Coming soon- Where to buy Wot Eat ingredients NEAR YOU.
CLICK HERE to see how it will work (currently, all stores used are for illustration purposes only).