every one a winner
every one a dinner
Lancashire Hot Pot
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cooking time – 15 minutes then 3 hours in the oven
A wholesome and filling stew enhanced by adding the piquancy of anchovy sauce.
Nutritional Value per serving–
Calories 823 kcal/3453 kj; Protein 80 g; Carbohydrate 50.1 g of which sugars 10.4 g; Fat 34.9 g of which saturates 14.9 g; Salt 540 mg
4 rashers smoked streaky bacon 2 celery sticks, chopped 2 large onions, sliced 8 middle neck lamb chops (about 1kg/2 ¼ lb in total weight) 1 kg/2 ¼ lb potatoes, peeled and sliced 300ml/ 1 ½ pints brown veal or beef stock 7.5 ml/ 1 ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce 5 ml/ 1 tsp anchovy sauce Salt and freshly ground black pepper Fresh parsley to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 160’C/140’C Fan/325’F/Gas 3.
- Dice the bacon and then cook in a heavy frying pan without any added fat over a medium heat for 23-5 minutes until the fat runs. Add the celery and one third of the onions and cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes, until softened and browned.
- Layer the lamb chops, potatoes, vegetable and bacon mixture and remaining onions in a heavy, flameproof casserole, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper as you go. Finish with a layer of potatoes.
- Pour the stock, Worcestershire sauce and anchovy sauce into the bacon and vegetable cooking juices in the pan. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Pour the mixture into the casserole adding water if necessary, so that the liquid comes halfway up the sides of the casserole.
- Cover the casserole with a tight-fitting lid then cook in the oven for 3 hours, until the meat and vegetables are very tender.
- Return to the oven for longer if necessary.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with the chopped fresh parsley.
Coming soon- Where to buy Wot Eat ingredients NEAR YOU.
CLICK HERE to see how it will work (currently, all stores used are for illustration purposes only).