every one a winner
every one a dinner
To serve – 4
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cooking time – 10-20 minutes
A nutritious and delightful soup to serve with fresh crusty bread.
Nutritional count per serving:
Energy 222kcal/624kj; Carbohydrate 6g of which sugars 5.5g; Fat 8.5g of which saturates 1.3g; Fibre 2g; Sodium 2.8g.
1.35 kg/3 lb large mussels in shells 150 ml/5 fl oz dry white wine 2-3 tbsp olive oil 1 onion, finely chopped 1 garlic clove, finely chopped 1 litre/1 ¾ pints hot fish stock 500 g/1 lb 2 oz ripe tomatoes, skinned and diced 1-2 bay leaves 1 tbsp crumbled fresh or dried oregano 1 tsp capers, drained Salt
- Scrub the mussels and trim off the beards. Any that do not close tightly are dead and should not be used.
- In a large soup pan, bring the wine to the boil and pack in the mussels. Cover and steam for 2-3 minutes giving the pan a shake to move the mussels around, until all the shells are open. Discard any that do not open and reserve the rest in their shells. Strain the broth through a fine sieve to remove any grit and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat the oil and gently fry the onion and garlic until soft but not browned. Add the stock and the reserved broth, tomatoes, bay leaves and oregano, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes, then tip in the mussels and capers.
- Reheat and season with salt.
- Sprinkle with basil leaves if desired and serve in deep soup bowls.
Coming soon- Where to buy Wot Eat ingredients NEAR YOU.
CLICK HERE to see how it will work (currently, all stores used are for illustration purposes only).