every one a winner
every one a dinner
Onion and Gruyére Tart
Preparation time – 15 minutes + 30 mins chilling time
Cooking time – 30 – 35 minutes
The secret to this delicious tart is to cook the onions very slowly until they almost caramelize.
Nutritional Value per serving
Energy 904 kcal/3746KJ; Protein 15g; Fat 78.2 g of which saturated fat 47 g; Carbohydrates 36.7g of which sugars 3 g; Salt 38.3mg
175g/ 6 oz plain flour Pinch of salt 75g/ 3 oz very cold butter, diced 1 egg yolk 450g/1 lb onions, thinly sliced 15-30 ml/ 1 -2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 2 eggs. Plus 1 egg yolk 300ml/ ½ pint double cream 75g/ 3 oz grated Gruyére cheese Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To make the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Add the butter and rub it into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and 15ml/ 1 tbsp cold water and mix to a firm dough. Wrap in cling film and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200’C/180’C Fan/400’F/Gas 6. Knead the dough, then roll it out on a lightly floured work surface and use to line a 23cm/ 9 in loose-based flan tin. Prick the base all over with a fork, line the pastry case with baking parchment and fill with baking beans.
- Bake the pastry case blind for 15 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 10-15 minutes, until the pastry case is crisp.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan, add the onions, cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes, until golden.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180’C/160’C Fan/350’F/Gas 4. Spread the pastry case with mustard and top with onions. Mix together the eggs, egg yolk, cream and cheese and nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Pour over the onions. Bake for 30 – 135 minutes until golden. Remove the tart from the oven and leave to cool slightly. Serve warm.
Coming soon- Where to buy Wot Eat ingredients NEAR YOU.
CLICK HERE to see how it will work (currently, all stores used are for illustration purposes only).