every one a winner
every one a dinner
Pea and Ham Soup
To serve – 4
Preparation time – overnight soaking of dried peas + 5 minutes
Cooking time – 2 hours, slow cooking
Comforting and warming, a great defence against the cold on a winter’s day served with some crusty bread.
Nutritional count per serving
Energy 306kcal/1287kj; Protein 26.8g; Carbohydrate 27.3 g f which sugards 2.8 g; Fat 10.7g of which saturates 3.6g; Cholesterol 42mg; Calcium 57mg; Fibre 5.7g; Sodium 869mg.
200 g/ 7 oz dried peas 1.5 litres/ 2 ½ pints water Small piece of pork belly cut into cubes 200 g/ 7 oz smoked bacon, chopped 1 onion, finely chopped 1 carrot, finely chopped 1 leek, chopped 2.5 ml/ 1 ½ tsp ground allspice 2.5 ml/ 1 ½ tsp dried marjoram 30 ml/2 tbsp German or Dijon mustard Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Soak the peas overnight in plenty of cold water. The next day, rinse and put the peas in a pan with belly pork, bacon, onion, carrot, leek and allspice.
- Bring the liquid to the boil. Skim away any foam that rises, then lower the heat, cover and simmer for about 2 hours, until the meat and vegetables are tender. If the soup has thickened too much for your taste, dilute with a little water.
- Lift out the belly pork and cut away the meat discarding the fat and bones. Return to the soup. Stir in the dried marjoram and mustard.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt if needed.
- Pour into individual serving bowls and serve hot.
Coming soon- Where to buy Wot Eat ingredients NEAR YOU.
CLICK HERE to see how it will work (currently, all stores used are for illustration purposes only).