every one a winner
every one a dinner
Potato and Leek Soup
Preparation time – 6 minutes
Cooking time – 40 minutes
Another rich and comforting soup – just right for winter.
Nutritional count per serving
Energy 127 kcal/534kj; Protein 3.4g; Carbohydrate 19.6g of which sugars 3.9g; Fat 4.4g of which saturates 2.4g; Cholesterol 9 mg; Calcium 40mg; Fibre 3.2g; Sodium 180mg.
25 g/ 1 oz unsalted butter 1 onion, thinly sliced 2 – 3 leeks (white and pale green parts only), thinly sliced and thoroughly rinsed 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped 120 ml/ 4 fl. oz dry white wine 3 medium waxy potatoes, peeled and chopped small 1.5 litres/2 ½ pints chicken or vegetable stock 3 sprigs fresh parsley 3 sprigs fresh thyme 1 bay leaf 200 ml/ 7 fl. oz single cream or milk (optional) Salt and white pepper 30 ml/ 2 tbsp thinly chopped fresh chives or chopped parsley to garnish
- Heat the butter in a large, heavy pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, leeks and garlic to the pan and sauté* gently for about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned.
- Increase the heat to high and pour in the wine. Boil vigorously for about 4 minutes, or until the mixture is almost dry. Add the potatoes and stock.
- Make a bouquet garni* by tying the fresh parsley, thyme and bay leaf together with a piece of kitchen string. Add this to the soup.
- Bring to the boil, lower the heat and cover the pan, leaving the lid slightly ajar to let the excess steam escape.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, until the potatoes are very tender.
- Lift out the bouquet garni and discard.
- With a hand-held blender or food processor, purée the soup until the desired consistency is reached.
- If using the milk or cream, whisk it into the soup. Season and heat through.
- Divide among warm soup bowls, garnish with chives or parsley and serve immediately.
Coming soon- Where to buy Wot Eat ingredients NEAR YOU.
CLICK HERE to see how it will work (currently, all stores used are for illustration purposes only).