every one a winner
every one a dinner
Potato Pancakes with Smoked Salmon
Serves 4 – 6 (makes 12 Pancakes)
Cooking time – 30 minutes
A sophisticated starter that is easily assembled. Try topping with a little lumpfish caviar to really show off.
Nutritional count when serving 4:
Energy 342 kcal; Carbohydrate 28 g of which sugars 4 g; Protein 20 g; Fat 18 g of which saturated fat 6 g.
500 g/ 1 lb 2 oz floury potatoes such as King Edwards, peeled and grated 1 medium onion, finely chopped 1 large egg 2 tbsps wholemeal flour Salt and fresh ground black pepper Sunflower oil for frying 200 g/ 7 oz smoked salmon, cut into small strips 150 ml/ 5 fl oz thick soured cream Dill or parsley leaves, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to low. Put both grated potatoes and chopped onions in a sieve and press with a spoon to squeeze out as much starchy liquid as possible.
- Transfer to a bowl, add the egg, flour and salt and pepper and mix well.
- Pour the oil into a frying pan to a depth of about 8 mm/ ⅜ in and heat until it shows a haze.
- Put a tablespoon of the potato mixture into the oil, flattening it to a small pancake about 5 cm/ 2 in in diameter. Keep adding more tablespoons of the mixture to the pan, cooking four to six at a time. Fry them for about 1 minute or until they are golden on the bottom, then turn them over and cook the other side until they are crisp and golden, but still soft in the centre.
- Remove the pancakes from the pan, drain on kitchen paper and keep warm in the oven, while you cook the remainder.
- Serve each pancake topped with a spoonful of soured cream and a few strips of salmon. Garnish with either dill or parsley.
Coming soon- Where to buy Wot Eat ingredients NEAR YOU.
CLICK HERE to see how it will work (currently, all stores used are for illustration purposes only).