every one a winner
every one a dinner
Salmon, Potato and Mushroom Bake
To serve – 4 to 6
Preparation time – 20 minutes
Cooking time – 40 minutes for larger dish
A lovely fish bake for a hearty meal served with a green vegetable or a simple green salad.
135 g/ 4 ½ fl oz vegetable oil 4 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced 10 g/ ¼ oz butter 300 g/ 11 oz mushrooms, thinly sliced 1 large onion, thinly sliced in rings 1.5 ml/ ¼ tsp caraway seeds, ground with pestle and mortar 500 g/ 1 ¼ lb thin salmon fillets, bones and skin removed 2 large eggs, beaten 300 ml/ ½ pt single cream 200 g/ 7 oz breadcrumbs Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180’C/160’C Fan/350’F/ Gas 4 Heat 75-90 ml/ 5-6 tbsp oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the potatoes a few at a time, and cook for 5-8 minutes, or until they are almost tender, and lightly browned.
- Add more oil if necessary.
- Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and cook the onion rings for 4-5 minutes, or until lightly browned and soft.
- Add the butter to the pan and melt. Add the mushrooms and sauté for about 4 minutes until soft. Season to taste and remove from the pan.
- Line individual serving dishes, or a 20 cm/ 8 in square ovenproof dish, with most of the pre-cooked potatoes in a solid layer, overlapping the slices slightly.
- Spoon over the mushrooms and top with the onion rings.
- Sprinkle the ground caraway over the top.
- Top with the salmon fillets and finish with a layer of the remaining potatoes.
- Combine the eggs and cream in a bowl and pour over the bake. Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs.
- Bake in the hot oven. Individual dishes will need 20-25 minutes, and the larger dish will need 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot.
Coming soon- Where to buy Wot Eat ingredients NEAR YOU.
CLICK HERE to see how it will work (currently, all stores used are for illustration purposes only).