every one a winner
every one a dinner
A really impressive starter for a dinner party menu.
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Cooking time – 15 minutes
12 scallops in the half shell, cleaned 2 tbsp butter 1 shallot, finely chopped 1 clove garlic, crushed 1 tbsp plain flour 150 ml/ 5 ½ fl oz dry white wine 300 ml/ 10 ½ fl oz whole milk A little freshly grated nutmeg 2 tbsp dried breadcrumbs 3 tbsp Gruyére cheese Salt and pepper A few sprigs of parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 190’C/170’C Fan/375’F/Gas 5.
- Carefully slice the scallops away from their shells and discard 8 of the shells.
- Arrange 3 scallops on each of the remaining shells and sit them in a roasting dish.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan and fry the shallot and garlic for 2 minutes to soften without colouring. Stir in the flour, then whisk in the wine, followed by the milk.
- Whisk gently until the mixture starts to bubble and thicken. Cook out the flour for 2 minutes then season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Spoon the sauce on to the scallops. Mix the breadcrumbs with the cheese and sprinkle over the top, then bake the scallops for 15 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve immediately, garnished with a few sprigs of parsley.
Coming soon- Where to buy Wot Eat ingredients NEAR YOU.
CLICK HERE to see how it will work (currently, all stores used are for illustration purposes only).