every one a winner
every one a dinner
Sea Trout Mousse
To serve – 4
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Cooking time – 10 minutes + 2-3 hours chilling time
An impressive looking creamy mousse set in stylish ramekin dishes, topped with delicate slices of cucumber and feathery fronds of dill. Great for a dinner party.
Nutritional count per serving
Energy 286kcal/1181kj; Protein 12g; Carbohydrate 1.5g of which sugars 1.5g; Fat 23.2g of which saturates 13.9g; Cholesterol 58mg; Calcium 94mg; Fibre 0g; Sodium 111mg.
250 g/ 9 oz sea trout fillets (can substitute salmon fillets) 120 ml/ 4 fl oz fish stock 2 gelatine leaves or 15 ml/ 1 tbsp powdered gelatine Juice of 1 lemon 30 ml/ 2 tbsp dry sherry or dry vermouth 30 ml/ 2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese 300 ml/ ½ pint whipping cream 2 egg whites 15 ml/ 1 tbsp sunflower oil Salt and white pepper For the garnish: 5 cm/ 2 in piece of cucumber, with peel, thinly sliced 6 small sprigs fresh dill or chervil, plus extra, chopped
- Place the trout fillet in a shallow pan. Pour in the fish stock and heat to simmering point. Poach the fish for about 3-4 minutes, until lightly cooked.
- Carefully lift the trout out of the pan and set it aside to cool slightly. Strain the stock into a jug, then add the gelatine to the hot stock and stir until dissolved completely. Set aside to cool.
- When the trout is cool enough to handle, remove the skin and flake the flesh removing all bones. Pour the stock into a food processor, then add the flaked trout, lemon juice, sherry or vermouth and Parmesan through the feeder tube, continuing to process the mixture until smooth. Scrape into a bowl and leave to cool completely.
- Lightly whip the cream then fold it into the cold trout mixture. Season to taste, then cover with clear film and chill until the mousse is beginning to set.
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until softly peaking. Stir one-third into the trout mixture to lighten it, then fold in the rest.
- Lightly grease four ramekin dishes with the sunflower oil. Divide the mousse among the ramekins and level the surface. Place in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours, until set.
- Just before serving, arrange a few slices of cucumber and a small spring of dill or chervil on each mousse.
- Great served with Melba toast.
Coming soon- Where to buy Wot Eat ingredients NEAR YOU.
CLICK HERE to see how it will work (currently, all stores used are for illustration purposes only).