every one a winner
every one a dinner
Spaghetti with Clam Sauce
To serve – 4
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cooking time – 10-12 minutes
A Venetian specialty pasta dish- one of Italy’s most famous.
Nutritional value per serving:
Energy 519kcal/2187kj; Protein 30.9g; Carbohydrate 67.7g of which sugars 3.4g; Fat 13.5g of which saturates 2g; Cholesterol 84mg; Calcium 142mg; Fibre 3.2g; Sodium 1508mg.
350 g/ 12 oz dried Spaghetti 1 kg/2 ¼ lb fresh clams 60 ml/ 4 tbsp olive oil 45 ml/ 3 tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley 120 ml/ 4 fl oz dry white wine 2 garlic cloves Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Scrub the clams under cold running water, discarding any that are open or that do not close when sharply tapped against the work surface.
- Cook the pasta in a large pan of lightly salted boiling water for 10-12 minutes. Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a large pan, add the clams and 15 ml/ 1 tbsp of the parsley and cook over a high heat for a few seconds. Pour in the wine, then cover tightly. Cook for about 5 minutes, shaking the pan frequently, until the clams have opened.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the clams to a bowl. Discard any that have failed to open.
- Strain the liquid through a fine mesh and put it aside.
- Put eight clams in their shells to one side for the garnish, then remove the rest from their shells with a fork.
- Heat the remaining oil in the clean pan. Fry the whole garlic cloves over a medium heat until golden, crushing them with a wooden spoon.
- Remove the garlic with a slotted spoon and discard.
- Add the shelled clams to the oil still in the pan, gradually add some of the strained liquid from the clams, then add plenty of pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes, gradually adding more liquid as the sauce reduces. Add the remaining parsley and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Drain the pasta, add it to the pan and toss well. Serve in individual dishes, scooping the shelled clams from the bottom of the pan and placing some of them on top of each serving.
- Garnish with the reserved clams and serve.
Coming soon- Where to buy Wot Eat ingredients NEAR YOU.
CLICK HERE to see how it will work (currently, all stores used are for illustration purposes only).