every one a winner
every one a dinner
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cooking time – 1 hour 5 minutes
Serves 3 -4
Roasted onions stuffed with ham and cheese, make a winning lunch. Try using small onions for an equally tasty side dish.
Nutritional Value per serving-
Calories 140kcal/584kj; Protein 8.7g; Carbohydrate 13.4g of which sugars 5.2g; Fat 5.9g of which saturates 3.1g; Salt 320mg
6 large red onions 75g/3 oz ham, cut into small dice 1 egg 50g/2 oz fresh breadcrumbs 45ml/3 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley 1 garlic clove, chopped Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg 75g/3 oz freshly grated cheese, such as Parmesan or mature Cheddar 90ml/6 tbsp olive oil Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Peel the onions without cutting through the bases. Cook them in a large pan of boiling salted water for about 20 minutes. Drain then refresh in plenty of cold water.
- Using a small sharp knife, cut around and scoop out each central section. Remove about half the inside (save it for soup).
- Lightly sprinkle the empty cavities with salt and leave the onions to drain upside down.
- Preheat the oven to 200’C/180’C Fan/400’F/Gas 6.
- Beat the ham into the egg in a small bowl. Stir in the breadcrumbs, parsley, garlic, nutmeg and all but 45ml/3 tbsp of the grated cheese. Add 45ml/3 tbsp of the oil, then season with salt and pepper.
- Pat the insides of the onions dry with kitchen paper. Using a small spoon, fill them with the stuffing. Arrange the onions in a single layer in an oiled baking dish.
- Sprinkle the tops with the remaining cheese and then with oil.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the onions are tender and golden on top.
- Serve immediately.
Coming soon- Where to buy Wot Eat ingredients NEAR YOU.
CLICK HERE to see how it will work (currently, all stores used are for illustration purposes only).