every one a winner
every one a dinner
Sweet Potatoes with Bacon
Preparation time – 2 minutes
Cooking time – 40 – 50 minutes
This delicious sweet potato dish is often served for Thanksgiving in North America to celebrate the settler’s first harvest.
Nutritional Value per serving:
Energy 291 kcal; Protein 5.4 g; Carbohydrate 37.1 g of which sugars 19.5 g; Fat 14.5 g of which saturates 7.4 g; Sodium 189 mg.
2 large sweet potatoes (about 450 g/ 1 lb each), washed 50 g/ 2 oz soft light brown sugar 30 ml/ 2 tbsp lemon juice 40 g/ 1 ½ oz butter, plus extra for greasing 4 rashers smoked streaky bacon, cut into thin strips Salt and freshly ground black pepper Sprig of flat leaf parsley to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 190’C/ 170’C Fan/375’F Gas 5.
- Lightly butter a shallow ovenproof dish. Cut the unpeeled sweet potatoes crossways into four and place the pieces in a pan of boiling salted water. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook for about 25 minutes until just tender.
- Drain the potatoes and when cool enough to handle, peel and slice quite thickly. Place in a single layer in the prepared dish, arranging so that each slice overlaps one another.
- Sprinkle over the sugar and lemon juice and dot with butter. Top with the bacon and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake uncovered for 35 – 40 minutes, basting once or twice, until the potatoes are tender.
- Preheat the grill to high. Grill the potatoes for about 2 – 3 minutes until they are browned and the bacon crispy. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
Coming soon- Where to buy Wot Eat ingredients NEAR YOU.
CLICK HERE to see how it will work (currently, all stores used are for illustration purposes only).