every one a winner
every one a dinner
Toad in the Hole
To serve – 6
Preparation time – 8 minutes
Cooking time – 55 minutes
A classic that is every child’s favourite supper. To help the batter rise and become crispy, use a roasting pan rather than a ceramic dish.
Nutritional Value per serving:
Energy 497 kcal/2070kj; Protein 14.5g; Carbohydrate 32.1g of which sugars 3.8g; Fat 35.4g of which saturates 13.6g; Cholesterol 109mg; Calcium 141mg; Fibre 1.3g; Sodium 616mg.
175 g/ 6 oz plain flour 2.5 ml/ ½ tsp salt 2 eggs 300 ml/ ½ pint milk 30 ml/ 2 tbsp oil 500 g/1 ¼ lb meaty butcher’s sausages
- Preheat the oven to 220’C/200’C Fan/425’F/ Gas 7
- To make the batter, sift the flour and salt into a bowl, make a well in the centre and break the eggs into it.
- Mix the milk with 300 ml/ ½ pint cold water. Using a balloon whisk, gradually stir the milk mixture into the bowl with eggs, incorporating the flour and beating well to make a smooth batter. Leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Pour the oil into the roasting pan and add the sausages (cut in half crosswise if large).
- Put into the hot oven and cook for about 10 minutes until the oil is very hot and the sausages beginning to brown.
- Stir the batter and quickly pour it around the sausages, then return to the oven.
- Cook for about 45 minutes or until the batter is puffed up, set and golden brown.
- Serve immediately
Coming soon- Where to buy Wot Eat ingredients NEAR YOU.
CLICK HERE to see how it will work (currently, all stores used are for illustration purposes only).