every one a winner
every one a dinner
To serve 4 -6
Preparation time –
Cooking time –
Traditional old-fashioned favourite – served either warm or cold with custard or ice-cream.
Nutritional count per batch
Energy 420kcal/1764kj: Protein 4.1g; Carbohydrate 63.5g of which sugars 35.1g; Fat 18.5g of which saturates 11.3g; Cholesterol 46g; Calcium 62mg; Fibre 1.1g; Sodium 244mg.
260 g/ 9 ½ oz golden syrup 75 g/ 3 oz fresh white breadcrumbs Grated rind of 1 lemon 30 ml/ 2 tbsp lemon juice For the pastry: 150 g/ 5 oz plain flour ½ tsp salt 130 g/4 ½ oz chilled butter, diced 45-60 ml/ 3-4 tbsp chilled water
- To make the pastry, combine the flour and salt in a bowl. Rub or cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- With a fork, stir in just enough water to bind the dough. Gather into a smooth ball, knead lightly for a few seconds until smooth, then wrap in clear film and chill for 20 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface roll, out the pastry to a thickness of 3 mm/⅛ in. Transfer to a 20 cm/8 in fluted flan tin, and trim off the overhang.
- Chill the pastry case for 20 minutes. Reserve the pastry trimmings.
- Put a baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 200’C/180’C Fan/400’F/Gas 6.
- To make the filling, begin by warming the syrup in a pan until it melts. Remove the syrup from the heat and stir in the breadcrumbs and lemon rind. Leave to stand for 10 minutes, then add more breadcrumbs if the mixture is too thin and moist. Stir in the lemon juice, then spread the mixture evenly in the pastry case.
- Roll out the pastry trimmings and cut into 10-12 thin strips.
- Twist the strips into spirals, the lay half of them on the filling. Arrange the remaining strips at right angles to form a lattice. Press the ends on to the rim.
- Place the tart on the hot baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Lower the heat to 190’C/170’C Fan/375’F/Gas 5.
- Bake for a further 15 minutes until golden.
- Serve warm or cold.
Coming soon- Where to buy Wot Eat ingredients NEAR YOU.
CLICK HERE to see how it will work (currently, all stores used are for illustration purposes only).